Easy, Healthy Make-Ahead Breakfast Ideas
I take breakfast pretty seriously. It’s hands down my favorite meal of the day. I find that nothing gets my day off to a better start than a good breakfast and strong cup of coffee. I tend to like slightly more elaborate breakfasts (I loathe cold cereal) but refuse to spend any precious weekday morning time slaving over breakfast. So, over the years I’ve found some recipes and methods for keeping weekday breakfasts easy. Liam’s more a cereal and fruit man during the week but almost all of these recipes are kid-friendly depending on your child’s food preferences. I noted the ones that are Liam approved.
1. Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal. Steel cut oatmeal is a new obsession. Puts the gross sugar filled packets to shame. Plus, it couldn’t be easier to make – I make a pot on Sunday night and it lasts me the whole week. Heats up like a dream with a little milk and is delicious with almost anything on top. (Liam approved!)
2. Make Ahead Cold Oatmeal. This has become a warm-weather oatmeal replacement. So easy to make and really hardy – I usually have to remind myself to eat lunch after having cold oatmeal for breakfast.
3. Homemade Pumpkin Granola. I love this Pumpkin granola recipe from Skinny Taste. I usually reserve it for fall but it would be delicious at any time of year. I keep it in a mason jar at my desk and heat it up with apples and almond milk. Yum. (Liam approved!)
4. Make Ahead Smoothies Liam and I are both huge smoothie fans but I hate busting out the blender and all the different ingredients for a smoothie in the morning. Freezing it ahead of time avoids that and gives me something to do with the extra amount of smoothie that I ALWAYS make. Just remember to take it out to defrost for an hour or two before drinking. (Liam approved!)
5. Freezable Pancakes, Muffins and Waffles. Anytime we make something of this variety on the weekend I make extra to freeze and have during the week. They toast up great and taste much better than the freezer section variety. (Liam approved!)
6. Make Ahead Egg Cups.I fell in love with these during my Paleo phase. These are great both as a make-ahead breakfast or lunch and much like frittatas, you can throw in pretty much anything you’ve got lying around.
- E-family news: Getting a Healthy Start on Eating Habits
- Family Recipes: Breakfasts, lunches, dinners and desserts – we’ve got you covered with recipe ideas for the whole family.
- Bright Horizons on Pinterest: Kid-friendly Recipe Board
- Parent Webinars: Food for Thought – Nutrition Tips & Strategies for Growing a Healthy Eater