Family Recipes: Apple and Peanut Butter Sandwiches
Looking for a healthy afternoon snack for kids? Whole Foods shares an easy-to-prep recipe for apple and peanut butter sandwiches that kids will love! This one is perfect for before or after sports practices and games. Less messy and easier to transport than traditional apple slices, these sandwich-style apples are a healthy alternative to packaged snacks. Where it comes to prep, they also make for a great snack that kids can help assemble in the kitchen. Want to add a creative touch? Include a sliced heart on your apple sandwiches.
Apple and Peanut Butter Sandwiches Recipe
- 2 small apples, cored and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch thick rounds
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
- 3 tablespoons peanut or almond butter
- 2 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons granola
1. Lay out your apple slides. Spread one side of half of the apple slices with peanut or almond butter.
2. Sprinkle chocolate chips and granola over the peanut butter layer.
3. Top with the remaining apple slices, pressing down gently to make the sandwiches.
NOTE: If you won’t be eating your apple sandwiches right away, brush the apples slices with lemon juice to keep them from browning quickly.