Family Recipes: Earth Day Granola Bars
Earth Day is coming up on April 22. How are you and your family celebrating? If you’re planning to spend time enjoying the outdoors, we have a great grab ‘n go snack for you. Amy loves this recipe from Meal Makeover Moms for Earth Day granola bars and thinks they provide a great energy boost for hiking and spending time outside enjoying nature. We hope they fuel your family for some Earth Day fun this year.
Earth Day Granola Bars
- 1 cup quick cooking or old fashioned oats
- 1 cup spoon-size shredded wheat cereal
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1½ cups dried fruit (i.e. dried plums/prunes, raisins, cherries, apricots, cranberries)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chip
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil or coat an 8 x 8-inch baking pan or dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Place the oats, shredded wheat, walnuts, dried fruit, cinnamon, and salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until the mixture is finely chopped (the fruit should be the size of a dried pea or lentil).
- Whisk together the eggs, honey, and vanilla in a large bowl until well blended. Add the oat mixture and chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Spread the mixture evenly in the prepared pan, and flatten gently with the back of a spoon or rubber spatula.
- Bake about 18 minutes, or until the edges turn golden brown. Let cool completely in pan before slicing into twelve 2 x 2½- inch bars.
And don’t forget to give these fun Earth Day crafts, art projects and activities a try while you’re enjoying your granola bars.