Family Recipes: Farmers Market Sandwich
Do you enjoy vising local farmers markets at this time of year? Many of our bloggers do. In the past, Amy was very involved in managing her own town’s farmers market and likes to share fun recipes that involve local ingredients. One of her favorite seasonal sandwiches is, in fact, called the Farmers Market Sandwich.
Next time you visit your local market, pick up some fresh bread, tomatoes and mozzarella and make your own.
Farmers Market Sandwich Recipe
- 2 slices of country bread or foccacia
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic (optional)
- 1 red ripe local tomato
- 2-3 slices of fresh local mozzarella cheese
- 1-2 basil leaves
1. Preheat the broiler on low (Or you can use the toaster oven, if that’s easier).
2. Slice the bread. Brush olive oil on one side of each slice.
3. Place under the broiler for 1-2 minutes until toasted. Be sure not to brown the bread too much. Peel the garlic and rub on toasted bread.
4. Slice the tomatoes and fresh mozzarella.
5. On one slice of bread, layer on the tomato, basil and mozzarella on the other slice of bread. Place under the broiler again until cheese is melted.
6. Combine both slices to make one sandwich and enjoy!