Family Recipes: Fresh Fruit Dessert Pizza
Kids LOVE pizza. Hey, so do adults! While pizza is typically the main event on the menu, have you ever considered having it for dessert? We discovered a delicious recipe from Taste of Home for fresh fruit pizza – a sweet treat that makes for a great dessert of snack option for kids. Get creative with your pizza! Add any combo of your family’s favorite fruits – there’s no way to go wrong. Adding fruit to pizza may also be a good way to encourage picky eaters to try some new fruit varieties. Enjoy!
Fresh Fruit Dessert Pizza Recipe
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 1 package (8 ounces) of reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 cups of fresh strawberries, diced or halved
- 1 can (11 ounces) of mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Any additional fruits of your choice!
- For the glaze (optional):
- 5 teaspoons of cornstarch
- 1-1/4 cups of unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
1. In a large bowl, combine flour and confectioners’ sugar. Add in butter until the mixture is crumbly.
2. Press the dough onto an ungreased pizza pan and bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until very lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
3. In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Spread over crust. Arrange your chosen selection of fruit on top.
4. For the glaze, combine cornstarch, pineapple juice and lemon juice in a saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for two minutes or until thickened. Drizzle the glaze over fruit when slightly cooled.