Family Recipes: Gingerbread Kids
It’s “gingerbread” time of year. Have you baked any of your family’s favorite holiday treats yet this season? Blogger, Amy, loves the tradition of baking gingerbread “kids” with her children before Christmas. She shares a great gingerbread men recipe that you can make with your own little ones to get in the holiday spirit.
Gingerbread “Kids” Recipe
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup margarine, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/3 – ½ cup milk
- Raisins or candy decorations
- Parchment paper
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, measure and add the flour, ginger and cinnamon. Whisk it together. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the margarine, sugar and molasses.
4. Alternating between each, add some of the “dry” mix and some of the milk to the creamed mixture until dough is stiff. Be sure not to add too much milk.
5. Place some parchment paper on your work surface and make your kids. Roll a ball and press it onto the parchment paper to make a head. Roll out a snake for body, arms, legs, hair or whatever you like. Use raisins or candy for face, buttons, earrings, or other decorations.
6. Transfer the parchment onto a baking sheet. Bake for 13-15 minutes until lightly browned.
7. Cool and enjoy!
Looking for other creative ways to enjoy gingerbread this holiday season? Check out these recipes for gingerbread pancakes and waffles.