Family Recipes: Homemade Chewy Granola Bars
It’s tough to find healthy snacks that are easy to grab when you’re on the go. While pre-packaged granola bars and snack bags are easily accessible, many are sadly lacking when it comes to nutrition. Today, Aviva Goldfarb from The Six O’Clock Scramble shares some all-natural, protein-packed treats that you can prepare at home. Check out her recipe for homemade chewy granola bars – a snack that both parents and kids are sure to enjoy.
Homemade Chewy Granola Bars Recipe
Prep (15 min.) + time to chill (60 min.)
15 square bars
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 cup natural peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil (or use butter)
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp. rolled oats
- 1 cup peanuts
- 1/4 cup chia seeds (optional)
- 1/2 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the honey, peanut butter and oil and stir until melted together.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Spray a 9 x 13 pan, preferably with straight corners, with nonstick cooking spray or line it with parchment paper.
- Press the mixture into the pan and smooth the top of it.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour until mixture is set.
- Cut it into 20 squares and serve immediately, store in an air-tight container for up to a week, or freeze for up to 3 months.
Learn more about the Six O’Clock Scramble:
Aviva Goldfarb is a Family Dinner Expert and founder and CEO of the family dinner planning site, the Six O’Clock Scramble. Aviva is author of 3 cookbooks including her most recent, “SOS! The Six O’Clock Scramble to the Rescue: Earth Friendly, Kid-Pleasing Meals for Busy Families”, which was named one of the best cookbooks of 2010 by the Washington Post. Aviva is a recent and upcoming Today Show guest and is frequently featured in national parenting, lifestyle and health magazines and TV and radio shows.
See Aviva talking about the importance of family dinners with Katie Couric: