Family Recipes: Homemade Yogurt in the Crockpot
Have you ever made your own homemade yogurt? It’s not as tricky as you’d think. A few years back, Amy shared her process for making homemade yogurt in a crockpot. By mixing and matching a few recipes, she found her own spin on homemade yogurt that turned out quite successful. Give it a try!
Homemade Crockpot Yogurt Recipe
- 1/2 gallon of milk
- 1/2 cup of yogurt (Amy’s suggestion: Trader Joe’s Organic English style)
- 1 spoonful of powdered milk
1. Place 1/2 gallon milk in large saucepan.
2. Bring milk to a boil and let boil 1 minute.
3. Cool down milk to 110-115 degrees (this can take about 45 minutes)
4. When milk is at about 120 degrees, turn crockpot on low. Shut off after 5-10 minutes. The goal is to have it warm when the milk is ready but not hot.
5. When milk is at right temp, mix in 1/2 cup yogurt.
6. Add one spoonful of powdered milk to thicken the yogurt.
7. Pour milk into crockpot. Cover. Wrap crockpot in large beach towel. Don’t move it for 8-10 hours.
8. Spoon in jars and refrigerate 6-8 hours before enjoying.
- Bright Horizons Online Community: Snack Ideas for a Picky Eater
- Parenting Webinars: Nutrition Tips & Strategies for Growing a Healthy Eater
- Read more posts about family recipes from the Family Room bloggers