Family Recipes: “Ice Cream” Mashed Potatoes for Kids
Have you started planning your Thanksgiving dinner menu? While adults love the Thanksgiving classics, it can sometimes be tricky to find menu items that appeal to our littlest guests. But sometimes it’s all about the presentation. Parenting.com shares this clever way to serve Thanksgiving mashed potatoes to kids – ice cream style! If you are having young guests at your Thanksgiving dinner, this twist on mashed potatoes is sure to be a hit.
“Ice Cream” Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp of creamer
- 2 tbsp of maple syrup
- 1 tbsp of brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla
For Red or White Potatoes:
- 6 red potatoes or 3 medium white potatoes
- 3 tbsp of milk
- 2 tbsp of sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- Sea salt to taste
For Chocolate-flavored Potatoes:
- White potatoes (use a scoop of the above white mashed potatoes)
- 1 tbsp of milk
- 1 tsp of hot chocolate mix
2. Boil in water until tender (about 20 minutes).
3. Add ingredients as listed for each flavor and mix (Note: When mashing potatoes remember that you need a thick enough consistency to “scoop”).
4. For white potatoes, additional milk or sour cream can be added as needed. Also, before serving add a dab of light butter.
5. Scoops can be formed with an ice cream scoop for a serving dish or for individual servings use a melon scoop.
Looking for more Thanksgiving recipes that will appeal to your children? Check out this collection of kid-friendly Thanksgiving side dishes: