Family Recipes: Reindeer Gingersnap Cookies
Looking for a festive cookie recipe that doesn’t require an over-abundance of culinary creativity and skill? This reindeer gingersnap Christmas cookie recipe, courtesy of MyRecipes.com, is great for holiday cookie swaps, can make the perfect addition to your holiday gathering menu, and might even be just the treat that Santa is looking for when he visits your house this year.
Roll up your sleeves and involve the kids in the decorating process – as long as you don’t mind cleaning up a little frosting, it’s sure to be some messy fun for all. Happy holidays!
Reindeer Gingersnaps Cookie Recipe
- 1 (14.5-oz.) package of gingerbread mix
- 1 teaspoon of meringue powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of hot water
- 1 (12-oz.) container of ready-to-spread fluffy white frosting
- Decorations: 32 miniature candy canes, 32 licorice candies, 16 sour cherry candies
1. Prepare gingerbread dough according to package instructions for gingersnap cookies.
2. Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface and cut into 3 1/2-inch ovals, using an egg-shaped or oval cookie cutter. Place 2 inches apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
3. Bake at 375° for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks, and let cool 30 minutes.
4. Stir together meringue powder and 1/2 tsp. hot water until combined; stir in frosting. Spoon frosting mixture into a zip-top plastic freezer bag; snip 1 corner of bag to make a small hole. Pipe 1 dot of frosting mixture at top of 1 cookie; press straight ends of 2 candy canes into piped dot to form antlers. Pipe 2 dots in center of cookie; press 1 licorice candy in each dot to form eyes. Pipe 1 dot at bottom of cookie; press 1 cherry candy in dot to form a nose. Repeat procedure with remaining cookies, frosting mixture, and candies. Let stand 24 hours to dry, if desired.
- Holiday Recipes: The Family Room Bloggers’ Favorite Holiday Treats
- Bright Horizons Online Community: Favorite Holiday Recipes & Food Ideas for Christmas
- Bright Horizons on Pinterest: Kid-friendly Recipes Board
- Read more posts about holidays and posts about family recipes from the Family Room bloggers