Family Recipes: Slow Cooker Chicken Black Bean Tacos
Despite the fact that her kids can be a bit picky when it comes to dinner options, Kris-Ann has a go-to meal that always succeeds: tacos! In an effort to make dinner prep quicker and easier, she’s shared this Skinny Taste recipe for slow cooker chicken tacos in the past along with some of her other favorite crock pot recipes.
Kris-Ann suggests crumbling up the taco shells to make the dinner nacho-style – an even more kid-friendly dinner! Next time you’re looking for an easy-to-prep meal for the kids, give this recipe for chicken tacos a try.
Slow Cooker Chicken Black Bean Tacos Recipe
- 12 oz. of skinless chicken tenders/breast
- 15 oz. can of low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 10 oz. can of tomatoes with mild green chiles
- 1 1/8 tsp. of chili powder
- 3/4 tsp. plus 1/8th tsp. of ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. of garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. of oregano
- 1 medium scallion, diced
- 1 tbsp. of chopped cilantro
- 12 crisp corn taco shells
- Taco toppings of your choice (sour cream, guacamole, etc.)
- 1 1/3 cups of shredded red cabbage
- 1 tsp. of red wine vinegar (or lime juice)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Season chicken with pinch of salt, garlic powder, oregano, 1/8 tsp of the chili powder and 1/8th tsp cumin.
2. Add the beans and tomatoes to the crock pot and season with the remaining chili powder and cumin. Place chicken in the crock pot and cover. Cook on high for two hours.
3. Meanwhile, combine shredded cabbage with vinegar (add more to taste), season with salt to taste and set aside.
4. Remove chicken from the crock pot and shred with two forks. Drain beans and transfer to a platter, or back to the crock pot to keep warm. Top with shredded chicken, scallions and cilantro.
5. To serve, warm the taco shells according to package directions. Fill with equal amounts of bean and chicken mixture. Top with cabbage and your favorite toppings.