Family Recipes: Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage for St. Patrick’s Day
Are you craving a traditional St. Patrick’s Day meal, but lacking the time to do any sort of complex dinner preparations with the holiday falling on a busy Monday tomorrow? Let your slow cooker do the work for you. Today we’re sharing an easy crock pot recipe for corned beef and cabbage, courtesy of Martha Stewart. Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
Slow-Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 3 carrots, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 small yellow onion, cut into 1-inch wedges
- 1/2 pound small potatoes, halved if large
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 1 corned beef brisket (about 3 pounds), plus pickling spice packet or 1 tablespoon pickling spice
- 1/2 head cabbage, cut into 1 1/2-inch wedges
- Grainy mustard, for serving
- In a 5-to-6-quart slow cooker, place celery, carrots, onion, potatoes, and thyme.
- Place corned beef, fat side up, on top of vegetables and sprinkle with pickling spice.
- Add enough water to almost cover meat (4 to 6 cups).
- Cover and cook on high until corned beef is tender, 4 1/4 hours (or 8 1/2 hours on low).
- Arrange cabbage over corned beef, cover, and continue cooking until cabbage is tender, 45 minutes (or 1 1/2 hours on low).
- Thinly slice corned beef against the grain and serve with vegetables, cooking liquid, and grainy mustard.
Looking for a fun side dish for your corned beef? Check out this recipe for Irish Soda bread! As part of our World Explorers curriculum component, the preschool and kindergarten children at Bright Horizons at Spotswood (NJ) made the soda bread treat while celebrating and learning all about the Irish culture this month.