Family Recipes: Sweet Potato Biscuits
‘Tis the season for sweet potato dishes! Amy has a great one to share. This recipe for sweet potato biscuits is one of her family’s holiday favorites…even the picky eaters in the bunch agree! Give this a try for an easy-to-transport side dish for your next holiday gathering.
Sweet Potato Biscuits Recipe
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- ¼ cup milk (more or less for consistency)
1. In a microwave or in a 450 degree oven, bake the sweet potato until tender. Allow to cool until you can safely handle it. Peel, mash and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
3. In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
4. Cut the butter into smaller chunks. Add and cut into the flour mixture to form a coarse, crumbly mix.
5. Mix in the sweet potato and honey.
6. Slowly stir in the milk until dough is soft but not sticky.
7. Knead the dough for a minute on a lightly floured surface.
8. Divide the dough into 10-12 lumps. Flatten and shape each into 1” thick rounds. Place on baking sheet.
9. Bake 15-18 minutes until golden and puffed up.