My New “School Year” Resolutions
Having resolutions in January is so passé. If I look back in history, my true “resolutions” tend to happen in September, even though I’m not really a resolution kind of gal. Summers are very lazy in our family – especially this summer where I spent almost every free moment ocean side and loved every minute of it.
But I know that all amazing things must come to an end and so that leads me to my new “school year” resolutions, to-do’s and goals.
Mom’s School Year Resolutions & Work/Life Goals
- I’ve given up bacon, egg and cheese English muffin sandwiches. Officially. On Labor Day. You’ve been the family staple every day when we go to the beach, but alas, it’s clearly not the most healthy habit and we all need to break it!
- CrossFit Resilience, I’ve ignored you most of the summer. Our schedule in July and August forced me to cut way back on this passion. Most of the time I’ve missed you, but I must confess that I have enjoyed absolving myself of any guilt this summer. No more! I’m coming back with a vengeance! And my health and body thanks you in advance.
- Lazy days, wasting away every minute laying in the sun – be gone! It’s time for commitments galore! I think every weekend day is already booked through Columbus Day weekend. As for October and November, not much free time there either.
- See you later Saturday and Sunday mid-day beer. Yes, there is this terrible habit of enjoying a sandwich with a cold beer every summer weekend day, but enough already! It’s been a delicious treat but let’s just be honest, a consistent Sam Summer can’t be all that good for you!
- Uninspired but easy to make meals – you’re out! Sure it’s been super convenient, but it’s time to start cooking fresh vegetables and planning out meals again.
- Target and grocery store avoidance is over. Depleting my stock of everything from toiletries to food has definitely hurt. I’m a real bargain hunter, so running out of things last minute and having to pay top dollar makes me so mad at myself! It especially hurt the day I was going into the office and realized I was out of deodorant! I amazingly “knocked” out enough deodorant to get me through the day, but I paid for my poor planning by being forced to buy a replacement at a convenient but expensive store.
- No more ignoring my yard. Oh my poor trees and flowers, how you desperately need a trim. I’ve put it off far too long. It’s time to bring some beauty back to our landscape!
- Time to declutter. Christmas is just a few months away and before it arrives I need to go through toys and clothes and start making some major donations (or start selling children’s toys and clothes online at a rapid pace!).
Fall doesn’t sound so fun to me as I write this, but life isn’t all about relaxing and being lazy. It’s time to focus, get some organization back in my life and enjoy another change of pace filled with school, work, soccer games, birthday parties galore, apple picking and holiday shopping. Happy September!