#SocialParenting: DIY Lava Lamp Preschool Science Activity
The preschool classroom at Bright Horizons at Davis Square (Somerville, MA) has been doing some very groovy children’s science experiments. Recently, they learned how to make their own lava lamps!
This science experiment, along with many other fun children’s activities, events and celebrations, are featured on the Bright Horizons Instagram account. Visit Bright Horizons on Instagram to see all the amazing things happening each and every day at our child care centers.
Want to make your own lava lamp at home? Try this fun preschool science activity with your own little scientist.
Children’s Science Experiment: Make Your Own Lava Lamp
- Plastic container or bottle with cover
- Warm water
- Food coloring
- Vegetable oil
- Airborne or Alka-Seltzer tablets
1. Fill just over half of your container with vegetable oil and the rest with warm water.
2. Add food coloring (any colors you choose!)
3. Add Airborne or Alka-Seltzer tablets.
4. Cover your container and rotate it back and forth to mix it up (do not shake!)