#SocialParenting: Organization Tips and Tweets from our Parent Webinar
Were you unable to attend the recent Bright Horizons parenting webinar: Organization Tips for Busy Families: The Great Balancing Act? Don’t worry! The webinar was recorded and is available for viewing on the Bright Horizons parenting webinars website.
During the webinar, many of our participants were engaged in a lively online chat about organization tips and tricks. In addition to the fantastic ideas provided by our webinar presenters, many of our audience members shared their favorite work/life tips in the live chat. Today, we’re sharing some of the highlights from the chat conversation.
- Sarah P: We make certain nights for entree types all week. Every Monday is fish night (fried, or fresh, or sushi). Tuesday is always chicken. Wed = pasta. Thurs = pork or beef. Fri – Sunday we eat out!
- Christy K: Weelicious is a great site with fun meals for everyone.
- Leticia B: I make a weekly menu and shop according to what’s needed for the week and then post the menu so my husband or kids can help with dinner if I’m not there.
Managing Laundry for the Family:
- Erin W: I do laundry after work every night – one load/night – rather than doing it all in one day where I’m stuck at home.
- Kerry G: I fold laundry with my sons while watching football or basketball. My sons like to match socks and separate into whose clothes are whose, so they are helpful.
- Vera S: I use a mesh folding bin that folds into a circle and opens up into three separate compartments with handles. I separate everyone’s laundry into that when it’s coming out of the dryer. Everyone has their own compartment and they put their own clothes away.
Organizing Children’s Toys:
- Amy D: After my daughter cleaned and organized her room she had more space for a dance party. She’s super motivated now to keep it clean.
- Amy K: The Container Store has great storage options for Lego storage.
- Leah H: Love the idea of donating some items as a family activity – great for spring cleaning.
Coordinating the Family Schedule:
- NaTosha R: To help manage our schedule I created a visual checklist, printed and in plastic for my Kindergartner.
- Tricia F: We have a weekly-to-biweekly family meeting to discuss upcoming “stuff” – appointments, parties, etc. and we make the dinner schedule. It also is time to discuss new rules in the house or issues from earlier in the week
Favorite Tools & Apps for Organization:
- Robyn N: Cozi allows us to keep all of us on the same page. I can plan meals, create grocery shopping lists, and the journal feature allows me to post photos for our long distance family
- Angela C: The My Family Meal Planner app is great.
- Molly J: I’m a big fan of Google Calendar and Evernote apps.
Meanwhile, there was also a lively discussion about organization tips for families happening on Twitter. Bright Horizons live-tweeted the webinar event and several participants joined in to share and discuss their favorite take-away tips. Search hashtag #BHwebinar on Twitter to see all of the great tidbits from the webinar and join the conversation to add your own thoughts and ideas.
- E-family news: Organization Tips – How to Organize Your Home
- Bright Horizons Parenting Webinars: Learn parenting skills through our informational parenting video series.
- Bright Horizons on Twitter: Follow @BrightHorizons to receive helpful parenting content, work/life resources, news and to learn more about the great things happening at our child care centers across the country.