Tips for Safe Beach Trips with Kids
“I’ve always loved going to the beach in the summer, but it’s a different experience when you have kids with you. It makes me nervous – especially near the water. Does anyone have good tips for beach safety when it comes to beach trips with little ones?” – RitaMurphy3, Bright Horizons Online Community Member
Long, hot days at the beach are where childhood summer memories are made. But when you’re at the beach with kids, it’s important to be aware of potential dangers and keep in mind the importance of summer safety tips – and particularly sun, sand and water safety throughout your beach day. Below are some tips and resources to help you and your kids stay safe and have fun on the beach this summer.
Beach Safety Tips from the American Red Cross
- Only swim at lifeguard-protected beaches and stay within the designated swimming area.
- Never swim alone.
- Keep alert and check the local weather conditions.
- Young children and inexperienced swimmers should wear U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jackets in and the around water. Do not use any other type of flotation device.
- Never dive headfirst – protect your neck. Before diving, always be sure to check for depth and obstructions.
- Carefully monitor children and elderly people when at the beach, even in shallow water.
- Watch out for aquatic life – water plants and animals may be dangerous.
Water Safety for Kids
Swimming and playing in and around water can provide great summer learning moments for children, as well as opportunities to get good exercise. But, it’s important to do so in a safe way. With a toddler who LOVES (and has no fear) of water, Amy had to quickly acquaint herself with children’s water safety strategies. Check out her water safety tips for children and keep your kids safe at the pool and at the beach.
Now that you’re armed with some good beach safety tips, you’re ready to have some fun! Mary shares her favorite tips for successful trips to the beach, with suggestions for beach gear, snacks, games and toys. Looking for even more advice? Check out these additional ideas for making beach trips a blast.
Do you have additional beach safety tips to share? Join the conversation on the Online Community or comment below to add your ideas.