The Work of the Bright Horizons Foundation for Children
Have you heard about The Bright Horizons Foundation for Children? The Bright Horizons Foundation for Children is focused on brightening the lives of children, youth, and families in crisis. We do this by creating comforting places, called Bright Spaces, for children experiencing trauma to grow, play, and heal.
Bright Spaces are warm, enriching play space in shelters and community agencies where children, youth, and families in crisis build caring relationships, heal from trauma through play, and experience the joy of childhood. They are created through partnerships with community agencies; financial sponsors; a Bright Horizons center, school, or department; and the Bright Horizons Foundation for Children.
HOW THE BRIGHT HORIZONS FOUNDATION CHANGES THE LIVES OF CHILDREN IN NEED
Johnny, 3, is an example of a child who has benefited from the spaces.This young boy came to the Bright Space to get therapy with his mom as part of a counseling program. They had just moved in with his mom’s parents after his stepdad beat up his mom and then kicked them out.
From day one, Johnny loved the Bright Space. At his grandma’s now overcrowded house, he was always in the way and there was no place for him to play like a three year old wants to play. Each week, he would arrive thrilled to be in the room with his therapist while his mom met with hers. Through the use of the Bright Space, he was able to communicate to his therapist some of the scary things he had seen. They worked together to help Johnny feel safe and make sure his mom understood what he was feeling. The Bright Space provided a safe place where Johnny could be a kid without getting in the way, hearing any yelling, or being scared.
WAYS TO GET INVOLVED WITH THE FOUNDATION & BRIGHT HORIZONS’ BRIGHT SPACES
- Brightening Lives Activities: Brightening Lives Activities are simple ways for groups of Bright Horizons employees, their families, center families, clients, and community partners to come together and volunteer in a hands-on service project. These activities can include diaper drives and school supply drives or even a knitting night and are designed to be easy, convenient, fun and are intended to connect volunteers to the needs of their community.
- Birthday Party: Instead of gifts at your child’s party, collect items for children in need like books, toys, pajamas, and socks. It’s a great way for your child to learn about giving back and guests will go home with a smile in their hearts knowing that they’ve helped others.
- Amazon Purchases: When you use the Foundation’s Amazon link, 8% of your purchase will go to the Bright Horizons Foundation for Children.
- Honor someone special: Honor someone special in your life with a gift to the Foundation. Your gift, no matter what size, can open a world of possibilities to children whose lives are tough, challenging, and often frightening. To donate, please visit The Foundation’s Donations page.
- Bright Horizons Foundation: How Your Donation is Being Used
- Family Room Blog: Bright Horizons Foundation & TODAY Show Shine A Light Project
- Follow the Foundation on Facebook and Instagram