Toddler Temper Tantrums
The other night Zoe spent 15 solid minutes crying on the floor over nothing at all. It may have been because the dog gave her a kiss, she ran out of puffs, or maybe it was because the books were in her way as she was walking. Whatever the reason, she rolled around on the floor screaming and kicking her legs for what seemed like hours.
At first, my husband and I tried to reason with her…but that didn’t get us far. How can you reason with a 15 month old? I don’t even think that is possible. Then, we tried to fix the problem by redirecting her and trying to get her interested in something else. When that didn’t work, we both just started laughing because we didn’t know what else to do. I texted a few of my ‘go-to’ moms, asking for advice on how we should be handling those situations. The resounding feedback received was “ just ignore them.”
So, we tried to ignore it. We tried to ignore Zoe screaming for 15 minutes until my husband got up and asked her to help feed the dogs. Then, as if nothing had ever happened, she ran over laughing, giggling and happy to help. My husband and I just looked at each other with a puzzled expression, laughed and both said “she is going to be a nightmare when she turns two.”
Experienced parents, I’d love your advice. What other ways are there to to reign in toddler temper tantrums?
- The Growing World of Toddlers: Learn how toddler care can help early childhood development
- Bright Horizons Online Community: Toddler is Hitting & Swatting
- Bright Horizons Online Community: Tantrums
- E-family news: How to Keep Up with Toddlers in Motion
- Read more posts about toddlers and posts about discipline from the Family Room bloggers