“While Dad’s Away” Meal Makeovers
With the anticipation of my husband traveling even more this year, I am challenging myself to come up with some healthier, easier, well balanced dinners for myself and my kids while he is away. The goal is to introduce my kids to some new foods AND avoid preparing a new meal that causes my children to turn their noses up. It certainly won’t be an easy task. Here are some of our most recent “while dad’s away” dinners that I think could use a makeover:
- Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, corn and dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets
- Tuna Noodle Casserole: Egg Noodles/Tuna Fish/Cream of Chicken Soup/Peas
- “Twirly Pasta”: Pasta Roni with broccoli, carrots and peas and dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets on the side
- Cheese Tortellini with Pasta Sauce, parmesan and a side of mixed veggies
- Turkey Tacos with Mexican rice
You’ll notice a few patterns in the above… Pasta or rice is always present, the meal often contains cheese or heavy dairy and some of our go-to’s are processed foods. My goal is to balance this all out. If anyone has any good recipes, please share. I love to cook and would love any help I can get in making my goal easier to meet.